Old I Say Thee Nay!

Stupid links, random comments, and occasionally even sustained insight.

Friday, April 08, 2005

So I'm reading this about the Nokia 8801, when it mentions that Nokia is "going after the fashionista crowd with this one" rather than the power user. I'm salivating over the damn thing, which is unusual for me and cell phones, when this line of text makes me realize that "holy crap, I've turned into part of the fashionista crowd." Which is just my way of saying "style over substance," since a fashionista is really just someone closely involved with the fashion industry or someone who rilly, rilly likes clothing fashion. Which I don't think is me, exactly. But part of the crowd...

Style over substance. That's what I want in my gadgets these days. I'm only one year away from the guy who bought the Beast because of the sheer power and all the features it had. Now, I'm the guy who's ready to sell the Beast and go to the iBook, and a second "good" computer tthat will probably be a Mac Mini (I still need the increased harddrive space!) as a kind of media centre. The Beast seems archaic and useless, even though it clearly isn't - it is still one of the best computers among the people I hang out with. Computer games? It can run ANYthing, but I have the slick new PSP and the reliable GameCube and the cool PS2. Who needs a computer for games? Well, except for World of Warcraft. Which runs on my bottom-of-the-line iBook, post-RAM upgrade. All sorts of extras built in that for any of the Macs I'm looking at I'd need get add-ons for. But I don't care so much - all I'm losing is the DVD burner, so the Mac mini would definitely have one.

Does all this make me cool? Damned if I know. I still spent this post talking about electronic gizmos. It makes me look kinda cool, I guess. We'll see where I go from here, and if the inner nerd spills out in the future. In the meantime, perhaps I should go shopping for shoes...

Nah. Not that bad. Not yet. 'sides, I'm hoping these guys will have some new designs soon.

9 Comments:

  • At 4:14 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You know, I resisted the urge to buy an ipod and went for the 20 gb iriver instead because it had more features for cheaper (colour screen, radio, recorder, etc).

    But now I want an ipod dammit. The iriver's ugly and uncool. I know this is wrong but I can't help it ;(

    beryl.

     
  • At 6:00 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Mm, shoes. :)

    You really need to hit up Square One!

    (and I won't tell on your browsing around Aldo's website :D )

    ~S

     
  • At 6:13 p.m., Blogger Mark Cook said…

    Getting an iRiver is probably the best purchase you can get. It's a great unit. But ugly as sin. I like the media player, but with a PSP I can't justify getting it at all. Hell, I can't even justify how I got a PSP.

    The hard drive player currently making me excited is the Sony NW-HD5, which is yet to be released. But I'll probably stick with iPod should my current 4G 20gig require replacing, since it works well, looks slick, and Apple's locked me in with the acc file format. Tricksy bastards.

     
  • At 6:14 p.m., Blogger Mark Cook said…

    And you'd better not, Sana'a. 'cause I'll cutchoo.

     
  • At 4:05 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Whatever happened to playing CoH with me?
    Traitor! =P

     
  • At 9:33 p.m., Blogger Mark Cook said…

    Ah. For that, I am sorry.

     
  • At 9:35 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    It's really all about Sonic.

    ~S

     
  • At 9:51 p.m., Blogger Mark Cook said…

    Sonic's been let go. I'm sorry. He just wasn't cool enough anymore.

    See? It relates!

     
  • At 11:02 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    NOOOOOO!!!! *cries*

     

Post a Comment

<< Home