Old I Say Thee Nay!

Stupid links, random comments, and occasionally even sustained insight.

Sunday, May 29, 2005

Teenage Punk Girls Like My Shoes

Today's my grandmother's 90th birthday. Happy birthday to her, and here's hoping for many more.

This is non-linear storytelling mixed with a CD mini-review. Such is how things are these days. It'll work out, trust me.

Today was the first of the Summer Tropical Drinks class. It was also the day I met the fourth Alison of the past month - although the Detective Fiction one is Allyson, the different spelling isn't really enough to differentiate in my head, so she's getting lumped in (I wonder if she'll mind that?). One of the others is in my bartending class, the other is housemate Andrew's girlfriend, whom I met before meeting Andrew. And this doesn't count the Alison linked - I've known her for years now, which disqualifies her. (On a separate note, it seems like almost any time I go out with a girl these days, it turns out Alison #1 was their CS 134 tutor. And she likes them. Which is nice.) What's the point of this? It seems that, in general, Alisons (and Allysons) are hot. And yet - that's not where my focus is right now.

What's the CD? Louis XIV's The Best Little Secrets Are Kept. Picked it up on Thursday, along with Gorillaz's Demon Days. The Best Little Secrets Are Kept is about sex.

On Wednesday I was sitting on King Street, reading. Two girls, too colourful to be goth, are walking by - one stops. She's managed to make blue hair look good. "You've got such cool shoes!" "Oh my god, you're right!" the other coos. I smile. "Thank you!" The girls smile back and continue on. Meanwhile, Hank Pym is chased off the Triskelion by Captain America. My cell phone rings, it's the Nokia tune - Jenn must've changed it when she was playing with it. She's jealous because her cell phone sucks.

Tuesday, May 31st, I'm going to see The Killers in concert in Toronto. Opening for them are Tegan and Sara and Louis XIV. I don't know from Tegan and Sara. Cressa likes them; I'm more excited about Louis XIV. Their CD is good. I hope they don't suck in person.

Three margueritas today, one of which was frozen. Summer Tropical Drinks is good times. So it seems that me and tequila are on speaking terms again - but that doesn't mean I'll be doing tequila shots with you. Tough.

It was Cressa on the phone, she had gotten a table at the Huether patio already. High above the street, it's one of my favourite patios, and the entire thing is one of my favourite places to eat. I was reading for too long. Damn. We get beer, splitting a couple of pitchers of Adlys Ale over the next two hours. We tell some tequila stories, among other things. Neither of us are good with tequila.

The worst part of the marguerita? The salt along the rim with the lack of a straw on the shaken ones. The salt cleanses the palate, but I don't want that every sip. Alison, this one with red hair dyed black, doesn't like the salt either - she wants a straw too.

I think how much I like coffee. The best stuff is earthy.

Louis XIV, melodically, puts me in mind of Franz Ferdinand. They also inspired a post. "Finding Out True Love is Blind" is full of lyrics like "I want miss little smart girl with your glasses and all your books" - the rest follow the same kind of structure. The group from San Diego is as obsessed with sex as a teenager - every song is like that. If that offends you, you won't like it. Otherwise, if you like the 80's retro rock sound from bands like Franz Ferdinand, you'll like this.

After dinner with Cressa, I walk home; she goes south, I go north - she and John live in Kitchener, while I'm on Cedarbrae. It was after nine, but it's still light out. Summer's great. I'm hoping for the best.

Kumasta ka? I'm good.

3 Comments:

  • At 6:11 p.m., Blogger Mark Cook said…

    P.S. - Upon further reflection (and hearing "Float On" again) Louis XIV also reminds me of Modest Mouse, which is probably a more apt comparison. So keep that in mind, too.

     
  • At 11:27 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    uh oh. but I dislike Modest Mouse.

    -cressa

     
  • At 7:26 a.m., Blogger Mark Cook said…

    I guess you'll just have to hope for the best. I can bring along the CD.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home