Old I Say Thee Nay!

Stupid links, random comments, and occasionally even sustained insight.

Saturday, August 21, 2004

It's always better on holiday, so much better on holiday. That's why we only work when we need the money. My flight leaves next Saturday from Buffalo around now. Back to the land of In-N-Out Burger. Good burgers; odd fries, but that seems to come from the potatoes out there - McDonald's had the same taste.

You leave me broken, shattered I lie. We're just a cross-hair; just a shot then we can die. It's been a week since I saw Alien vs Predator, and I've been allowing it to sit in my mind while I watched Alien, Aliens, and Alien3 - Alien: Resurrection and Predator are up next. It's entertaining enough, but lacking the sense of tension that was in any of the previous movies (although I've never seen Alien: Resurrection). Apparently the PG-13 rating was installed 3 weeks before release, and a half hour was cut out. It was a mess in several places; hopefully we'll get an R-rated director's cut when it hits DVD. It's probably a good idea to save your money until you can rent it.

You see her, you can't touch her. But then, she's in Athens, playing Olympic Women's Beach Volleyball. The best sport ever. Which other sport has competitors older than sixteen and bottoms that ride up? Maybe some of the Aquatics, but they wear one-pieces. Plus, they've also got synchronized diving which isn't just one strike against them, it's about twenty-eight strikes. That's three innings worth of strike-outs, and a pitcher's count on whoever is up. The ribbon is better than synchronized diving, and that's probably only due to longevity. What in God's name is the point of two people doing the same thing at the same time? I'll give synchonized swimming a pass, because that sport is more like someone thought, "What's the hardest thing we could possibly make an athelete do? Okay, now how can we make it harder?" But synchronized diving? Come on. But Women's beach volleyball is fucking BRILLIANT. I should go see if that's on now.

Big ups to these guys for a single good enough to get me to buy their CD.

2 Comments:

  • At 1:16 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Franz Ferdinand has impressed me as well. I would buy their CD, but I have a policy of only buying CD's when I go to concerts. But I hear them every night on woxy (great internet radio!). Maybe one day I will travel to England to see them in concert so I can buy a CD...

    Good luck in Mountain View. I hope you are good at foosball, because Justin needs someone to cut him down to size...

    Don (finally commenting after reading your blog for six months, despite not knowing you in person)

     
  • At 10:18 p.m., Blogger Mark Cook said…

    I'm positively shitty at foosball. Don't play it that often - the idea of soccer in a table with men on sticks isn't inherently appealing to me, at least not until I've had enough alcohol that there is no way for me to ever be good at it. Perhaps one of the other roughly twelve people is though...

    I tend to get the CD, then go to the concert. Especially when the band is from across the pond.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home